First of all, every scene in the video already includes some information on what I did in each individual shot. The information is placed at the bottom left/bottom right of the video.
00:07 - 01:22: Shots from the movies Slimy Ventures (Snails) and Losing Track (Western). Both of them were produced using Maya. Slimy Ventures was rendered with Mental Ray, Losing Track with VRay. For Slimy Ventures I did everything that has to do with Rigging, except for Blendshape-Modeling, which was done by our Modelers. I also animated the Intro-Scene (00:07-00:16). For Losing Track I was responsible for the whole pipeline of the project. I developed our lighting/rendering workflow, lit most of the scenes, renderer all of them, did everything that has to do with rigging (except for Blenshape-Modeling), was responsible for the cartoony smoke simulation and solving technical problems.
01:23 - 01:55: A small demo of the snail-rigs I did for Slimy Ventures. They were rigged completely in Maya, within about a week. Since snail-rigs aren't the most common rigs, the rigs would be animated heavily and the production was very time critical, I had to come up with rigs that would allow for complicated animation, but at the same time provide an easy, fast to animate rig that also doesn't break when animated in a very cartoony style. At the bottom right of the screen are short descriptions of the features that are displayed.
01:56 - 02:18: Some more shots I lit and rendered for Losing Track. Also some animations that were done with my rigs. Losing Track was a very time critical production as well (about 4 months in a team of five students) and whilst most animated shorts focus on one or two characters, this production involved three human characters and a train. We decided for a really simple animation style early on and therefore cut back on everything that wasn't necessary in the rigs. The complete rigs for all of the characters were done in less than two weeks (without blendshapes). The main problem was to find a balance between the time that it would take rigging and the time it would take animating. Everything that would save more time during animation than it would take time rigging would go in, everything else would be left out of the rigs.
02:18 - 02:25: Short introduction of a rig user interface builder I implemented during my bachelor's thesis. A quick tech-demo can be found on its project page (http://www.tobiashauck.de/rigUI.html). The idea was to create a UI builder that would allow users to interactively create a user interface for rigs without coding. The user interfaces are based on XML. The user can export the Rig UI to a XML-file, as well as load existing XML-files which allows for creating UI templates. For more experienced users, the Rig UI can also be exported to Python code, which can then be edited to add additional functionality.
More in-depth information on all of the aforementioned projects can be found on my website (http://www.tobiashauck.de). There is also a section about the physically based hair BSDF I implemented during my master's thesis (http://www.tobiashauck.de/hairShader.html) and additional videos about 2D motion graphics projects I did.