All shots where boarded in 2D, and then iterated on on the 3D layout process. I learned as I went so if you see the first version of the animatic and compare it to the last one it turned out very different. Over 2 hours of reference was recorded for the animation. One of the greatest challenges was to get the acting and timing right, some of the shots are quite long and have a lot of acting beats, the tricky part was choosing when to hit these to build the next gag. All the animation and lighting was done in Maya. For rendering we used Mental Ray and another team member composited it in Nuke. Some effects like the fish behind the credits were done in After Effects.